How to Value .CO Domains as They Break the 200,000 Barrier

Jul 21, 2010 12 Comments by

I knew that general availability for .CO was beginning yesterday at 2 p.m., and at 1:58 p.m. I finally decided to register some. First, I typed in city names, top generic product names, even top adjectives. All gone. Then, I looked at directory categories, starting with doctors.co and dentists.co and moving down the ranks. I was pleasantly surprised, and found one premium .CO professional domain that was available, which I ordered and is now processing. Next, using what I thought to be my competitive advantage, I typed in the top 100 IDNs. I was truly shocked, the entire IDN set was taken. I did manage to represent the IDN niche by registering IDNs.co, which given my interest in IDNs and the $29. registration fee seems like a bargain.

How Much Are .CO Domains Worth?

PROS:

• There has been strong demand for .CO domains so far. Over 215,000 .CO domains are registered already, and Ron Jackson wrote that over 100,000 .CO domains were registered 30 minutes after general registration began.
  • .CO is familiar. Internationally “Co” is recognized as an abbreviation for company or corporation. As it is only one letter off from .COM it is visually familiar as well.
  • .CO is IDN-friendly.
  • The .CO registry is being managed exceptionally well. Take a look at the impressive team working on the launch here and the executive team.
  • Lori Anne Wardi, the Director of Marketing, has done a stupendous job of marketing .CO, and it has already leapfrogged many other extensions and deserves to be considered among the top four TLDs (.com, .net, .org, .co).

CONS:

• Will .CO be at a disadvantage in comparison to other gTLDs in terms of SEO?
  • .CO may not be able to sustain this pace of growth once the marketing blitz dies down.
  • Though excitement has been high among domainers, it is unclear how long it will take for the general public to understand and ultimately embrace .CO.

**Update: As noted in the comments below it appears as if only Spanish IDNs are and will be available.   I am awaiting official confirmation.

.CO, IDN

About the author

Aaron Krawitz is an active domain investor and a co-owner of IDNTools.com.

12 Responses to “How to Value .CO Domains as They Break the 200,000 Barrier”

1. SnoopyNo Gravatar says:

“deserves to be considered among the top four TLDs (.com, .net, .org, .co”

//////////////

This is dreaming, it has been marketed well and is not dissimilar to other new and relaunched tlds, .us, .tv, .me, .mobi, etc. There is always a new argument about why it will be different this time but it never is.

In my opinion this tld is mainly about typo traffic, at the moment lipstick is being put on a pig trying to market this as a stand alone tld. It is going to be completely confusing to the average web surfer. Give it 6 months once the hype of o.co and t.co wears off, a lot of money going to be lost here in my view.

2. EinsteinNo Gravatar says:

Fair analysis. IMO it will die down rather quickly after a year or two. Plus $30 a year domains are much costlier to hold and very few ill spend the money to develop them.

3. RobNo Gravatar says:

Its a ccTLD not a TLD

Basic error.

4. JeffNo Gravatar says:

I thought .co only allowed spanish idn .co regs

5. IDNBlogNo Gravatar says:

@Jeff – I believe you are right and the post has been updated, but I am awaiting a response from .CO to clarify.

6. IDNBlogNo Gravatar says:

@Rob – TLDs (Top Level Domains) refers to both ccTLDs (Country Code Top Level Domains) and gTLDs (Generic Top Level Domains).

.CO is a ccTLD of course but it is also a TLD.

7. IDNBlogNo Gravatar says:

@Einstein – Good point about the $30 reg fee. Definitely a con that should be added to the list above.

8. em johnNo Gravatar says:

.co idns only available in spanish.

I know how you feel. Already a month ago most of the top spanish idn.co were taken. espana, musica, etc were all preordered weeks ago. But it stands to reason for the 50 Mill people in Colombia. co IS a spanish cctld so it makes good sense to buy the spanish idn. I think the people who managed to get some good idn.co have an awesome investment, there, better than alot of the english .COs being bought.

9. JackNo Gravatar says:

The value in .co is NOW!!!!! Get your cash now!!!

Wait and your dollars will wash away like sand castles waiting for high tide.

10. JeffNo Gravatar says:

I wouldn’t even message them about .co in other languages… protect your .com so we don’t have to buy our name in each extension….

11. IDNBlogNo Gravatar says:

@Jeff – Rumor is that they are planning it already. My asking about it will not tilt the scales but I appreciate your sentiment.

12. sinNo Gravatar says:

@SNOOPY!

AS Your Post stated, .tv is far better. and good investment than .co

.co sucks, and it will fail, and i wud personally not spend any money, or even a dollar on this wasteless.

Another thing, .co has been Only Marketed to DOMAINERS!

And No One else………..so get your facts right please.